Met Oval U-12s Win Brooklyn Italians Columbus Cup

The U12s played a very Met Oval style of possession throughout the tournament that paid off in the end. The entire squad was needed to bring the Columbus Cup back to the Oval.

Jayson and Piero had particularly strong tournaments in the center of the pitch, and while neither netted, they helped drive this championship effort. Over the course of the tournament, the defense only allowed 3 goals. Jobany, Owen, Jacton and Javier proved a near impenetrable unit.

The Manager's Recap:
"On what started out as a very stormy day, the U12 squad took the field just as the rain was breaking and went on to defeat their first opponent, the White Plains Youth Soccer Academy, 3-0. In the following game against Gottschee, nerves seemed to get the best of our players as we tied that game at one all. The next morning brought lots of sunshine and renewed vigor as Met cruised to a 9-0 victory over the Albany Alleycats, which sent the team to the playoffs.
The semi-final match versus the Lynbrook Sting was hard fought with both teams largely frustrated in their attempts to score. Met Oval’s lone regulation time goal came from a direct kick by Piero Elias that was headed into the net by Nickala Metreveli. Lynbrook soon equalized and we went into OT. Neither team was able to score after two periods of overtime play and the game went to a penalty shootout. This was keeper Lukas Turlick’s first official shootout but he met the challenge and managed to stop two of Lynbrook’s attempts -- which gave Met the edge and ultimately the 4-3 win.
In the finals, Met Oval faced the Teaneck Stingrays who’d won all three of their group stage matches and had defeated Albertson 5-1 earlier that day. Led by Jayson Chirino and Piero Elias in the midfield, Met Oval quickly established and maintained possession of the ball but were thwarted in their attempts to finish and Teaneck went up by one early in the second half. The score then remained stuck at 1-0 until the final possession of the game when our boys made a mad dash to the goal and scored in the very last second. That sent us to OT again and early in the first overtime period the entire Met Oval team worked together to advance towards the Stingray’s goal and serve the ball to Nickala Metreveli who put it in the net. Our defense, led by Jobany Garcia, held strong for the remaining minutes of play, thus sealing the team’s Columbus Cup victory."